Life is a camera, Face it with a smile
A smile is like saying hello without any words.


Saturday 8 October 2011

Uni Life - Not a reflection, but an analysis

What's spurred this particular blog post, a particular comment I received recently from an Imperial College student.

'I never had time for anything. All I did was study'

It's not the first time I heard this comment. The same comment phrased slightly differently was said from a deligent student in a university in Thiruchengodu, Tamil Nadu, India.

I don't know if the situation is different in Australia. My particular case might not be the best representative of an Australian student life. But I know Australians, even if they don't study a lot, sure do work a lot. They work so much, they don't have time for anything else either.

Doing a number of things makes you smarter at the way you do a number of things. You learn to squeeze 10 pages of reading into 10 minutes and not 20 minutes. You optimise time.

But there is a saturation point. Just like 10 pages can't be squeezed into 2minutes, overloading us with information, isn't going to get us smarter. This is what I criticise about the education system in some universities. Teach us the techniques to be smart learners, but don't feed us with information to the extent of making us machines that just grind the material, but don't really think for ourselves. How many of us would have thought 'If only I had the time, I would have done that' or 'I'll do it after exams, I just don't have time now'. The number of missed opportunities to discover ourselves.

No comments: