Life is a camera, Face it with a smile
A smile is like saying hello without any words.


Saturday 26 January 2008

Teachers

Teachers need to be valued! The amount that teacher's get paid is nonsence.

Like every other student, I went through primary school, secondary, and am still studying at uni. There were the teachers you hated, and teachers you loved, and those in between. But even the very worst, thatknew not even the a-b-c-d of teaching still made that change within you. They were there, in times when u needed a guidance, a support, a method to follow.

I passed through the compulsory education, with soo many whinges and not too many tributes. I understood teachers as companions in the post compulsory stage. But I never really appreciated them more until I became a teacher myself. I once heard a proverb, you never fully understand the value of your parents until you become one. It echos in the teaching profession as well.

I teach tamil to a small class of 5-6 grade two students, just 2hours a week. Its nothing incredible. But the effort you must put in is 100% wihtout which you don't get the 100% satisfaction. Teaching is one of the most giving profession, you get as much as u give. But, its amazing, the way I felt when a student learnt. I was nervous, when they were on stage performing. Proud, at the job well done. As a teacehr you begin to learn it once more with them. but it wasn't all recieving. I made my blunders, I planned too much, I though they'd understand it all. I dictated, I scolded, and I had my headaches. I spent hours planning, and making the lesson, only to find the students didn't engage in it. But at the end of the day, I knew i'd done something noble. For better or worse, I was making a change.

It made me think back to my school days. How easy it was for us to criticise. Failing to understand the effort, and not allowing the time for teacher's to improve, not giveing them a chance, and failing to even forget that afterall they are human too.

Teacher's may work fewer hours, get 3months holidays to jealousy of other professionals, but nothing can compare to the impact they create on students. We need smarter, braver, younger teachers to learn fromt the older, experienced, knowledgeable teachers. For this, the teaching proffession needs to be hyped up. It shoud not only be worthwile but should look worthwhile to the outsider. And how is that possible? Higher wages! Come on, Mr Brumby, its a generation at stake.

No comments: