Life is a camera, Face it with a smile
A smile is like saying hello without any words.


Wednesday 9 June 2010

The defence of Vinaithaandi Varuvaaya

Okay this is probably like a really delayed review of this movie. So I shall call it my defence for the movie. There are many raving reviews for this movie on the net. However, I seem to have found so much more reviews dissing this movie. So this is my defence to those reviews, because this film absolutely touched me! Not to the extent Kanda Naal Muthal did, and and in no way will it make it to my top favourite movies, but it touched me because the movie was so realistic. Maybe, this is an additional reason people didn't like this movie, cos it was too real ,and they couldn't accept the reality.

Forgetting all shame, I have to say, I saw myself in Trisha's character. Yes she was crazy, and in my mum's words an absolute 'loosu'. But that's how some girls are. They feel incredibly loyal to their parents, and at teh same time have to deal with the pulls of an intensive guy like Simbu in the movie. Of course, girls think a lot, and will feel a 100 different emotions, and make a 100 different decisions depending on their compusure at that particular time. And that has been aptly covered by Gautham Menon.
This was the essence of the film, it was not that they were of different religion, that he loved a girl who was going to get married, he was younger etc. Of course these things have been showed in a 100 different other tamil movies. My justification for why the director chose to add these elements, was to show that even though these differences existed, they were not the cause of the problems, it was the uncertaity of the girl itself that was the prime cause.
Further, above all, I believe Vinaithaandi Varuvaaya was a movie meant to be critical of love, as well. Simbu falls in love with a girl, he has little idea about. Of course the love swept him of his senses. Havn't we all felt that at some point in our life? But the thing is, is this true love? He knew little about the girl. He just wanted to touch her, hug her, kiss her as he constantly says throughout the movie. It was about hormones, and the feelings we get in the spur of the moment. It's about attraction. And thus led to the amount of problems, because they weren't really in love with each other. Thus the question at the end by Jessie, 'Am I really such a good person?' was classic. Simbu's character had the view that Jessie was this perfect goddess throughout the movie, and thus her inconsistent actions with this perfect image, caused problems. Thus VTV to me, is also a warning that true love begins, once we get beyond this perfect image, and get to know the person, which neither Simbu nor TRisha did.
The only thing that was a bit cowardish of the director, was the dual meaning. I know Gautham wanted the ending where they seperate, why satisfy the rest of the audience with a movie ending, that removes the realism from the movie?
All in all, a movie to watch definetly once, for not entertainment, but lifes messages :)

No comments: