Life is a camera, Face it with a smile
A smile is like saying hello without any words.


Monday 4 February 2008

மஞ்சல் நீராட்டு விழா

I went to a மஞ்சல் நீராட்டு விழா yesterday. If you don't know what it is, I'm not going to be bothered to explain it to you, because unlike a lot of other things, I ain't proud of this specific cultural practice. It probably isn't so bad if you think back to it, but on the day, when your centre of attention it’s dodgy as!

The entire function involves many rituals, of few I know of. I tried thinking back, to the few such functions I've been to. Unfortunately, my memory betrayed me. I suspect it begins with elders or மாமி (uncle's wife) pouring மஞ்சல் (turmeric) water over the VIP. Then begins the அழங்காரம் (decoration) process. This was the part I hated most. You feel such a doll, where they decorate you, so others can see your beauty. I suppose maybe this is my, narrow, pessimistic view because I'm such an anti-makeup person. I prefer my natural colours to be seen. And at that age it was all the worse. I would have so much preferred to go out and play a game of soccer. But, no they made me sit.

But yesterday, amid my negative views for this function, I was surprised, there were smiles everywhere. What were they happy about, I don't know. I would have given anything to have my childhood back. But moreover, the more surprising aspect was the other little girls. Who seemed to enjoy it all. They loved the glamour, gloss and attention the VIP got. But I bet, that girl in particular, wasn't as excited. She was smiling, and to the outsider, it was coy, but hiding behind the smile was fear. She indeed looked stunning in the blue sari, although there are many years, yet to come, before she will wear that sari again. Her movements were unsure, and the maturity suited for the saree had not come yet. It is a சுமை at this age, but one day she'll look elegant in that saree, because the colour really suited her.


Anyway, what followed was everyone giving the VIP gifts, and blessing her with the usual குங்குமம், சந்தனம், பண்ணீர், etc. Was she to sit, or stand, I sensed her uneasiness. They asked me to do the blessing. I was stiff scared. It’s always been like this with formalities. Having not grown up in India, all though I have a grasp on the things from the outside, specific practices I had no idea of. I felt ashamed of my ignorance, because everyone else seemed to know. But it was alright, because they accepted my ignorance, and told me it’s the blessing that's important. So I quickly, went and put குங்குமம் on her already red forehead and came.

Having concluded the formalities, the remaining was alright. The VIP changed to a தாவனி, which must’ve been more comfort than a saree, nevertheless, still as uncomfortable, because this, as like the saree, was the first time, she had worn it. She was yet to find out about the pulling and adjusting of the thavani, to ensure, it doesn’t look dodgy.

The only thing remaining was food. No Indian function goes by without food. We sat and ate the chocolates, sweets and anything else we could find until the food was ready. This was the best time, in my opinion. The boys, as usual, boys, kept coming up with challenges and ways of annoying girls. At least I was able to get the girls, to sit down and keep the VIP company, who obviously must have been forbidden to run around. I got them to play Chinese whispers, charades and memory games. And then we got hooked on to lollies, and I taught them how to make cups, dresses, and bouquets out of the wrappers, until, the boys found out, and started stealing the wrappers.

It was a fun day, overall. But poor VIP or maybe she did enjoy it. But still, I can't agree with the function. You don't have to notify everyone of the day that you can wear a sari. It doesn't need to be marked as a milestone, clearly there is time yet, for the VIP to grow and mature. It is never a distinct turning point, and the original reason this function was held in those days doesn't even apply today, as girls marry yonks later, and furthermore, there are other ways to look for a suitable suitor nowadays, anyway.

No comments: