Life is a camera, Face it with a smile
A smile is like saying hello without any words.


Thursday 21 February 2008

Buzz

My first trip to the stadium to watch India and Australia battle each other out, while not historical, was indeed memorable.
Being the typical Indian (the one I hate other people calling me) I walked into the crowded stadium, after the debut wicket had been taken by India. So much, for wanting to see the coin toss. The crowd, the atmosphere, the brightness, the proximity of the cricketers all took a while getting used to. I was quite intimidated, unsure, and nervous to begin with. I'd done my fair share of homework, and prepared a poster, so iconical of me. Yet, was so scared to actualy hold it up. Even concentrating on the game, took all my strength. I couldn't tell where the ball was, what the score was or nothing. I stood up as everyone stood up around me for another wicket. But I didn't see the catch, and I wasn't sure what was happening.

Just wait though, by the third wicket, I was pumped. A few rounds of mexican waves, and some getting used to the surroundings, made the atmosphere infectitious, and excitement ran through me! I was ecstatic at fourth wicket, having figured out that everyone was as lost as me, in knowing when a wicket was lost. I was waving my poster incredibly, except upside down. But i was laughing, as the man in front of me let me know. It didn't matter, I was part of a crazy crowd, and wouldn't budge for another 5mins, even if the bowler had already bowled to the new batsmen, and peeps behind me were getting dodged.

It really wasn't the cricket that got me hooked, it was nearly secondary to the entire scene. We had a running commentry form a 9yr old behind me, entertainment all around, why did we ever need to look at the game? We had beach balls floating, camera men to attract, posters to wave, and cricketers to point at. Who cared about the game?

But by the time it was second innings, I learnt there was a scoreboard. The one cricketers kept looking at, and we thought it was us. The other big screen was useless, because I was actually at the match, and not watching it on T.V. If i missed it with my eyes, there would be no second look. Because the crowds crazy enough, you get carried with it.

I most enjoyed calling out to Sreeshant, and holding a poster in the middle of an over, with 2 wickets to go. I doubt no one heard me beyond a few seats across, but it was fun, especially when he got a wicket the next ball. I loved my 'incredible india poster!' and was even more thrilled when it scored its place on TV. My other LED lights poster wasn't a great success, considering the stadium outwon me with its tons of flood lights. And too bad 'Yuvraj our Raja' didn't become a hit, as Yuvraj went out for a 3. Ill jsut hold the belief that it was cos of my poster that Yuvraj played well in the next 2 matches. And I'll also equally believe that it was my incredible precense that made India win! not jsut that match, but also against Sri Lanka. They lost to Australia the second time, unfortunately, because I wasn't there.

A friend quoted, 'First match, India wins, and You get on TV!' I guess, I'm just incredible, aint I? ;)

No comments: